Here's where you can find some answers.
Choose a topic to view the information that may be most useful to you.
Overview & Facts
The science and practice of Urology has made remarkable advances in the last decade. As a growing awareness of common issues like erectile dysfunction (ED) increases, more treatment options have become available to meet the need of men of all ages.
Our practice specializes in helping patients improve their quality of life through the very best in medical care and information. With the latest advances in Urology, we invite you to learn more about penile prostheses, a surgical solution that deserves serious consideration for men who suffer from ED.
If you have any questions about this material or would like to discuss your specific health situation, we encourage you to call us for a consultation.
ED: When Medication Isn’t the Answer
Learn more about today’s satisfying solutions to restore your sex life
Millions of men experience erectile dysfunction (ED), described as the persistent inability to maintain an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. Diabetes, heart disease, prostate surgery and medications for other conditions are among the common causes for ED. With the growing awareness of ED, there is good news, nearly every case is treatable today.
In recent years, the widespread use of medications for the treatment of ED has greatly raised the public’s awareness of the issue, as well as hopes and expectations for regaining sexual abilities. These medications have helped many people restore their sexual function.
Unfortunately, these medications are not for everyone, causing some individuals to feel as thought there may be no options available for treatment. For instance, men taking nitrites for heart disease or those taking alpha blocking agents (for blood pressure or prostate problems) should not consider ED medication. In addition, some ED drug treatments such as Viagra® do not work for approximately 30 percent of men, however for these men who are not candidates for ED medication as a treatment, it is not the end of the road.
When ED medication is not the answer, there are other effective medical options which can provide a satisfying solution. One solution is the penile prosthesis, or penile implant, which has been in use for over 30 years.
A penile implant is entirely concealed within the body. Designed to be simple and discreet to operate, the implant does not interfere with ejaculation or orgasm.
In a study comparing ED treatment options, patients reported a 93% satisfaction with penile implants.3 This percentage of satisfaction far surpasses satisfaction rates for other treatment options.
Of course, a surgical solution like a penile implant is not generally the first course of action. For most patients, the benefits of ED medication cannot be understated, yet for those who cannot benefit from those medications, a penile prosthesis may provide a permanent, satisfying option
How Does a Penile Implant Work?
Depending on your specific situation and needs, there are three main types of penile implants for consideration.
- One-piece Positionable Prosthesis – This is the simplest type of penile prosthesis. It consists of a pair of cylinders that are surgically inserted into the penis. The prosthesis is positioned up for intercourse or down for everyday activities.
- Two-piece Inflatable Prosthesis – Consists of a pair of cylinders implanted in the penis, and small pump implanted in the scrotum. You simply squeeze and release the pump several times to inflate the prosthesis, and bend the penis to deflate it.
- Three-piece Inflatable Prosthesis – Features a pair of cylinders implanted in the penis, a pump implanted in the scrotum, and a reservoir implanted in the lower abdomen. When the fluid is pumped into the cylinders, it creates an erection that provides rigidity and girth expansion
Risks and Benefits
Penile prostheses have helped over 300,000 men return to an active, satisfying sex life. As with any any surgical procedure, there are both benefits and risks to be considered.
- Offers a long-term solution to ED
- Provides the ability to have an erection anytime you choose
- Allows for greater spontaneity – have sex when the mood strikes
- Enables you to maintain an erection as long as you desire
- Eliminates the need for costly pills or shots
- Feels natural during intercourse3
- Does not interfere with ejaculation or orgasm
- Will make latent natural or spontaneous erections as well as other interventional treatment options impossible
- If an infection occurs, the prosthesis may have to be removed
- May cause the penis to become shorter, curved or scarred
- May cause lasting pain
- There may be mechanical failure of the prosthesis
Schedule an Appointment to Discuss Your Options
If you suffer from ED and have given up hope of finding an effective solution, we encourage you to call our office for an appointment to learn more about penile prosthesis surgery and discover whether it may be right for you.
Dr. James Elist
8500 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 707 Beverly Hills, CA 90211
For your free consultation call 1 (310) 612-9042